Thursday, December 11, 2008

Cacophony

Why can’t people stand it when some one disagrees with them? Why are people so limited that they can’t have anyone else’s opinion but their own? Am I limited too when I disagree with someone? I grit my teeth when I find people making judgements and opinions of things they have no knowledge about. Then I wonder if more knowledgeable (than me) people would grit their teeth at me. But then I always respect the judgement of such people and truly listen to them or I try to.

If people could just open their minds and hearts a little bit, the world has so much to teach. You and I are such a miniscule part of this world we have no right to disagree with anyone. Humility is probably one of the very few things in this world that is so rare and is valued so less. What have you done that you think you are better equipped to pass judgements on anything; every single thing in this world is as exciting and wondrous as you think you are.

There is beauty in humility as there is beauty in silence, in the mighty ocean, in a drop of honey, a ray of sunlight, a child’s curiosity, a girl who does not know she is beautiful, the list is endless. Why is there this tearing hurry to spill all you think you know and disregard anything that is new to you? When we grow (supposedly) in age, we lose one valuable thing, curiosity. Instead of embracing something that is different from us or what we know, we get suspicious of it. If someone is not you, they are not weird or wrong…they are different. This is of course easier said than done, as all meaningful things are.

This is the reason why I think this song from Pocahontas is so right!!


“You think I'm an ignorant savage
And you've been so many places I guess it must be so
But still I can not see
Is the savage one is me
How can there be so much that you don't know?
You don't know
You think you own whatever land you land on
The Earth is just a dead thing you can claim
But I know every rock and tree and creature
Has a life, has a spirit, has a name
You think the only people who are people
Are the people who look and think like you
But if you walk the footsteps of a stranger
You'll learn things you never knew you never knew”

3 comments:

Kelviyinkural said...

i agree with what u have to say here. some poeple not only think they know everything but also assume that the others around them know absolutely nothing.

Unknown said...

i think it is human tendency to behave the way u mentioned...
every person has a small element of it !!
its all abt whether he or she mentions it or not...
There are some ppl who do not disagree in public..does nt make them any less judgemental

NoLandsMan said...

I'm still learning or say practicing to agree with the ones who disagree with me...(if the disagreement is valid)...to listen and think abt what the other guy really means